Friday, June 12, 2015

How to play Agile Poker


How to play Agile Poker
 
 


We had a situation where we were experiencing a bottleneck in our Agile process at the point of the Quality Assurance checks. A part of the problem was a lack of manpower at QA, but a larger part was the developers and the fact that they may not have had enough information to properly address the story.

So I need a mechanism whereby the individual developer would be encouraged to ask more questions and communicate a little more closely with product owners and other stake holders to make sure they were addressing the request with a more targeted effort.

I addressed this as a management issue.

How can I get the development team to feel it is OK to ask questions, gather information about the task at hand before writing or adjusting code? How can I get the product owners to provide better stories in their requests so the developer would have enough information right out of the gate?

My answer was Agile Poker.

Now you can’t do this with every sprint otherwise it gets boring; detracts from the novelty.

First, obtain some wooden nickels. They are inexpensive and you can customize them with a team name, product name and release info. Designed right you can give them to the folks in marketing (opps, business development) afterwards they can use at trade shows and stuff like that.

Anyway, for every sprint task a developer completes and promotes to the Peer Review they get one token. You can also work out the token values on the front end, i.e. more time for task the more tokens it is worth.

If the task fails the peer review or QA checks they lose their tokens.

The developer with the most tokens as the end of the sprint wins.

The prize can be a crisp hundred dollar bill or a gift card or a years’ worth of Netflix or something – the prize could even be something the team picks prior to the sprint.

Anyway….

I’m Jim Harris – let me know if your team uses something like this.


Video Resume:   https://youtu.be/Yao1DVQV1Tk

In my position as Vice President of Product Development at Lawtrac, a position I held for nearly fifteen years, I oversaw the desktop and mobile development teams, quality assurance team and worked directly with clients to ensure every release or update contained the advancements they desired.

I have handled vary large software implementations which included data conversions and training.

As the VP of Product Development I helped add value to the company which was sold at the end of 2014. During my tenure I transformed my entire staff to the Agile methodology of production and personally obtained my Certified Scrum Master standing as I am a lead-by-example manager. I have been three-times published by OWASP and have spoken at national events by Adobe and Legal Technologies Association on developing secure applications. I bring experience, confidence, and self-discipline; together we can accomplish anything.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment