Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tuesday morning rant.....


And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

Let's substitute Shakespeare’s use of the word 'gentlemen' for the phrase 'hiring managers' or 'recruiters'.

I feel very strongly that the individuals conducting an initial review of resumes upon seeing military experience automatically pass over the individual.

Case(s) in point:

A recruiter last week asked me to remove my military experience and substitute 'additional experience upon request' even though what I did in the Army Signal Corps was exactly what the company was looking for.

Google Fiber passed me by for a position working with the team installing Google Fiber in Austin, TX even though I'm a certified fiber optic field engineer - not too many of those running around.

I believe (too) that individuals in the age group dubbed ‘millennial’ are doing the initial review(s) and that the sediments expressed in the St. Crispin’s Day Speech penned in 1599 are right on the money.


No comments:

Post a Comment