Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cold War Story


So here is a little story for you. No, it is not as dramatic as some of those you will see this weekend on AME or The History Channel, but it does have to do with a menace the US had to deal with in the 1980's called The Red Army Faction.

It's 1987... the Red Army Faction had promised additional attacks against US concerns in Germany; threats you had to take as serious after they set bombs at PX and Commissary facilities.

So it is the holidays.... of course all the married sergeants and officers got to go be with their families. Those of us who were not married or had children got to set-up a defensive perimeter around Coleman Barracks Mannheim, Germany.

We didn't take it too serious; after all - our location didn't have women and children. I was the Non Commissioned Officer in charge. Which means I have to be the one to keep everyone on their toes. Count the three-rounds everyone was issued while on patrol at the end of their shift and make sure they didn't fall asleep. (The three-rounds thing is another story).

I'm out checking everyone and making sure they are in their correct locations and being vigilant. I find one soldier sleeping. I'm reading him the riot-act... standing above his fighting position with one hand on the chain-length fence when a shot rang out.

It nicked the the fence and went through my hand.

Another half-inch to the right... into the side of my head.

Half-inch to the left ... into my sholder.

As it was it went into my hand... right through it. The scar isn't so much today but that night it was a big deal.

It went right through an artery and "squirted" in rhythm with my heart.

By the time I got through the aid station and into an ambulance on my way to a hospital did I loose consensus, but luckily I'm here today to relay the story.

Don't dismiss any of the "cold war" soldiers who gave their all during this Memorial Day weekend. The demise of the USSR and fall of the Berlin Wall are just some of the examples of what we accomplished.

If you know someone who served during 'peace time' thank them too. It wasn't a walk-in-the-park.

No comments:

Post a Comment